Update django package:
pip install -U Django
- Remove 'south' from INSTALLED_APPS.
- Delete all your (numbered) migration files, but not the directory or init.py - make sure you remove the .pyc files too.
- Run python manage.py makemigrations. Django should see the empty migration directories and make new initial migrations in the new format.
- Run python manage.py migrate. Django will see that the tables for the initial migrations already exist and mark them as applied without running them. (Only matching table names are checked; not their full schema
- it’s up to you to make sure the existing schema is up to date with your models!)
Uninstall south package:
pip uninstall south
Update requirements.txt file:
pip freeze > requirements.txt
I'm using a great Python hosting - Webfaction. So here is short notes how to upgrade existing deployed application to Django 1.7.
- Create new application with Django 1.7
- Copy project folder from old Django 1.6 application to new Django 1.7 application.
- Modify httpd.conf accordingly with new folder structure.
- Stop existing existing application with django 1.6.
Restart new django 1.7 application:
- Remove django 1.6 from Websites-> yourdomain.com -> Contents.
- Add new django 1.7 app to Websites-> yourdomain.com -> Contents.
Done. Check how it works.
PS: And don't forgot to update fabric deployment file accordingly.